Sunday, 3 November 2013

"Remembering Melissa, my fair lady."

I rolled over the other side of my bed but she wasn't there. Oh... she's married.

I got out of bed cause I heard noise coming from the kitchen and I thought, "She's fixing breakfast." but it turned out to be our cat, Tammy. Oh... she's in the States now.

I went to the shower and I soon as I got out, I couldn't find her sorting my clothes out. Oh... she's gone.

Every morning, every day for 21 months now, I've been doing everything on my own but I kept forgetting that she's no longer sharing the same bed with me, no longer there to fix my tie for me. I guessed if I never took her for granted I'd still have her spend Christmas with my family this year. I thought if I never screamed in her face that night she wouldn't have to pack her stuffs up and leave, and I'd still have her bake ginger cookies during summer.

I mean, we used to be inseparable. She'd still lie next to me on the couch after an argument. But I cant quite figure out why that night she got so upset, she pushed me and started sorting her clothes out, sobbing away. Every step she walked further from me, I pulled her in.

"I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean to. I should have called yeah, I know I should. I'm sorry. Please." 

The tighter I held her waist, the closer I put her head to my chest, the more she struggled. She broke free and continued packing. I sat at the edge of the bed, tightening my grip on the bed frame. Where did I go wrong? Just because I didn't return her phone call? Just because I was out with my friends for beer? But that was a normal routine every end of the month, right? I knew if I let this girl walk out the door, she's never coming back.

True enough, she went and I never heard of her at all since.

But around half a year ago, I checked the mailbox for the first time since she left. Because when she was around, she was the one who read me my letters and bills. One envelope I held looked somewhat fancy, leaves an aroma of roses and pine trees. My heart dropped as I read on -

"You are invited to the solemnization of Melissa Watson and Adam Gritts."

The girl who used to vandalise my table in junior school, my high school sweetheart, the woman who was engaged to me for 5 amazing yet challenging years, yes that same girl who left me almost 2 years ago is getting married - to my best friend. I didn't cry, I couldn't. Because ever since she walked out of the door, I bawled every night. I had no more tears to weep.

Adam... you lucky bastard. I couldn't bring myself to New York to attend the wedding, it was too much to handle. So I wrote Adam a letter.

Hey bro. I'm sorry I can't be there. You should know why. Nevertheless, I'm happy for both of you. You guys must've known quite a bit about each other already but let me mention a few things. She likes to have tea before bed, so you should just sit there in bed with her and stroke her hair while she sips on her cup. She loves rooftop talks so do that with her once in awhile. She will snatch your phone and take selfies so just let her be. Call her every now and then and tell her you love her, she needs the assurance. Do all the things you're supposed to do. Cause I never had the chance to do all these much, I always forgot to remind her how much she meant to me, now take it from a man who has lost a beauty. Lastly, wink. Wink to her when she's staring into blank space, that'll make her heart flutter. That's all I can remember of her and what she used to love, I don't know if she still likes all these simple gestures but she did... last time. Congratulations and tell Mel, I long to see her. 

Melissa, baby, I can never forget you and everything we've been through. Especially how you made me feel. Now I'm empty. But the ghost of your soul still lives inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment