Sunday, 19 October 2014

Unexpected.

UNEXPECTED.//

"May God ease, may God heal."

God, always had a way to surprise me.

Back track to 2011, I lost my childhood friend. We simply grew up together. But it seemed that God loved him so much, he was called back to be with the Lord in his sleep. Some nights before, we were having a casual talk after our routine jog along the canal. As midnight slipped in, the conversation got heavier and deeper. The few words he said hit me like a spear,

"Sampai bila kau nak harapkan aku je, Nis? Learn to be on your own. Ni baru aku gi KL tiga hari, belum masuk kubur lagi. Takkan nanti homework kau, kau expect aku ajar kau kat sebelah? Abeh training? Kalau takde partner, kau nak masuk kubur train dengan aku? Mana boleh. If not now, then, once I'm gone, you'll never be alright on your own."

Perhaps, he really meant he wanted me to be independent. He somewhat saw his last day coming. His phone call the night before departure already shook me. He was multitasking between packing his luggage and talking over the phone with the whole squad. The conference call that lasted close to 45 mins was so precious, coming to think about it again. None of the 7 of us could send him off for his 5 a.m drive off, so that phone call was the final call before departure. Fate just had to turn the table over, the car his father was driving collided with the road divider. I was the first person his sister called when he met with an accident along the highway to KL.

Upon arrival at the hospital, he was still unconcious. He slowly showed signs of recovery after 18 hours. When he was fully awake and able to speak, he called me from the hospital bed. All he asked about was how was class that day, how heats training went, how good was my timing, and of course, whether I did my homework or did I copy from the smart foreign student at the back of the class. Before we hung up, he told me to send his regards to the rest of our friends. So I said I'll convey his regards to them the following day in school.

Guess what? He passed away in his sleep the night before, after that phone call. I dont know how, or what went wrong, he just passed, in his sleep. The news was whispered into my ear during assembly, my form teacher couldnt bear to break the news to the whole school.

Because, oh my, Solehin, was a dear student and fellow team player to us all. He was an outstanding student who unluckily happened to be my bestfriend, whom I excessively bullied to do my homework and help me queue up for my food. He did it willingly any ways, because he said, "Kawan punya pasal lah eh, kalau tak, boleh jalan lah dengan kau."

I sat in my spot, at a lost of words. What came out of me were just tears, I couldnt react much. I mean, can you? Your best buddy who helped wash your face when all the other boys kicked sand into your face during shot put training, your confidante who broke an eraser into two right before sitting down for your Math Preliminary exams, IS GONE. Its the small little things that broke me, knowing that the stronger half of me has left us all.

We were just two months away from our O's, and there I was, clearing his locker, crying as though I've lost my son in a war. I wasnt sad. I was devastated. You see, he was there throughout the four years I served in high school. While everybody else were passing by in my life, he stayed. Through the hardships, he has eased my troubles so much, even words cant articulate.

We were not in love.

But I know, for sure, I will never master the art of Patience like how Sol has showed me everytime I simplified an algebraic equation wrongly, and he had to go over it, again and again.

I am certain, for sure, I will never learn the meaning of Strength like how Sol always used to make me sprint up every 100m and leave me a TimeOut chocolate bar at every 100m mark if I hit a new max.

I can guarantee, for sure, I will never grasp the idea of Life if his father didnt make that silly mistake of texting his mother back in Singapore, that led to the accident in KL.

I am never going to blame Mr. Malik for his son's death. He was like a father to me too. But I will never compromise safety over anything, because when its at risk, you lose. That is my job's first rule in camp, "SAFETY FIRST."

I lost my bestfriend unexpectedly, due to a stupid mistake. Which explains why I nag specifically to my loved ones who drive and ride, to never multitask behind the wheel. There's no other reason to it; I just care.

No comments:

Post a Comment